Sometimes the most lasting lessons are learned outside the classroom.
Our summer internship program gives Rainier Scholars students in high school and college a chance to do paid, full-time work in interesting professional settings under the guidance of a committed mentor. We're always looking for businesses and nonprofit organizations who might be a good fit for our students.
What do you get by participating? Bright, motivated workers who are quick studies and eager to learn. You get a chance to make a difference in communities of color, as well as the opportunity to cultivate future employees among some of the most talented students in Seattle.
What do our students get? Hands-on workplace experience, an understanding of how they can apply their learning once they're out of school, and the invaluable insights of adults who care about their futures.
We are seeking internship opportunities in business, medicine, law, journalism, engineering, computer technologies, scientific research and non-profit work.
Ideal Internship Experience
- A six to eight week internship opportunity in July and August 2013 (for high school)
- A 10 - 12 week internship opportunity in Summer 2013 (for college)
- An active, professional work environment
- Pay at or above state minimum wage requirements ($10/hour is typical)
- Includes one-on-one mentorship with student
- Jop shadowing opportunities
What Rainier Scholars Offers Your Organization
- Rainier Scholars works closely with employers to provide the best match for organizations and mentors.
- Rainier Scholars screens intern applicants to ensure quality service to internship sites.
- Rainier Scholars students study and practice leadership, enabling them to offer unusually high self-efficacy and discipline.
- Our students set their sights on top universities, making them excellent candidates for future employment
For more information on hosting a Rainier Scholars intern please contact:
- College internships: Shanti Garman, College Internship & Professional Networking Program Manager at 206-407-2116 or by email.
- High school internships: Susie Wu, Director of Leadership Development at 206-407-2142 or by email.
Click here to read an article about our internship program.
- Rainier Scholars has created more than 200 internship experiences to date for high school and college students.
- More than 95% of our interns received marks of 8 or above out of a score of 10 by their mentors.
Rainier Scholars' internship partners include:
- Aegis Living
- Canlis Glass
- Environmental Protection Agency
- Epiphany School
- Fahlman Olson & Little
- Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center
- Giddens School
- Group Health Cooperative
- Jackson Laboratory
- Jennifer West Showroom
- K & L Gates LLP
- Karr Tuttle Campbell
- Kibble & Prentice
- League of Education Voters
- Miller Nash
- Mountains to Sound Greenway
- North Coast Electric
- Perkins Coie
- Pike Place Market
- Polygon Northwest
- Powerful Schools
- Quadrant Homes
- Safeco Insurance
- Seattle Aquarium
- Seattle Children's Hospital
- Seattle Northwest Securities Corp.
- Skills, Inc.
- Swedish Neuroscience Institute
- Teens in Public Service (TIPS)
- Transportation Choices
- UW ADVANCE
- UW Autism Center
- UW Dept of Neurological Surgery
- UW Robinson Center
- WA State Hospital Association (WSHA)