How Do We Deliver?
Rainier Scholars Tacoma will serve MGAA families using a strategy called Targeted Universalism1. This means we will be working towards the larger goal of expanding opportunities for everyone by focusing on the needs of a group facing the most complex set of barriers.
Institutions have not fully recognized the additional burden placed on students of color as they navigate environments where they are often not represented.
Consequently, in addition to academic excellence, our scholars will develop the following components of resiliency necessary to be successful, empowered leaders in any environment:
- Unassailable sense of self
- Awareness of inequalities in supremacist systems
- Active rejection of dominant culture superiority myths
- Understanding of the impacts of racism and negative stereotypes
- Confidence in skills, tools, and resources
- Belief in the utility of school & learning
- Intentional cultivation of a supportive community
The Tacoma program will consist of the same four major areas of support and enrichment as our Seattle program.
However, we will adapt the program model to fit the needs of the Tacoma community, which will impact the structure and delivery.
Rainier Scholars Tacoma will start recruiting students for Cohort 1 in Fall 2021-22, with a summer session start scheduled for June 2022.